Saturday 1 February 2014

My Story and Journey (So Far)

    Spinning has been a life-saver for me. In October 2012 I suffered a back injury that left me with a bulging disc compressing my sciatic nerve. I lost all sensation and most of the mobility in my right leg and foot. Gone was the ability to run, kickbox, do plyometrics or any of the physical activities I had loved.

    Unable to do most of the intense and high-impact activities that I wanted to do, I looked for lower-impact alternatives. After doing some research, I settled on spinning as it was high in intensity while  being low in impact. So I got an inexpensive bike and set it up in my basement. The first time I got on it I could barely do (a very slow) 2 miles before the pain forced me to stop. I slowly worked up until I could do more miles but it was boring. I tried watching TV or a movie, I tried reading, I tried playing on my iPad...nothing helped. Then I discovered Virtual Active DVD's and The Sufferfest downloads (more--lots more--about those in future posts) and I was hooked. I started spinning several times a week and it was magic--I finally felt like my regular fit and active self again. Not only has spinning helped me lose the 30 pounds I put on during my months of inactivity, but it gives me that endorphin rush that I loved and was missing from my old workouts. It keeps my mind focused and my stress at bay. It's also helped in my physical recovery--the nerve damage is still there and my leg and foot may never return to 100% but they've become so much stronger and more mobile thanks to spinning. Most importantly, it makes me feel strong and empowered--my injury has ruled my life for the past 15 months but I'm finally now able to take control back.

   So I'm keeping strong, calm and spinning on... thanks for joining me on my journey!



3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you discovered spinning. I was happy to find it too, when I had plantar fasciitis in my foot. I think it's the best way that's low impact to get that endorphin rush. I'm so happy for you, that you are able take control and do exercise that you love! Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to share this journey with you! You are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete