Sunday 22 February 2015

Virtual Active: Maui Road to Hana Challenge

           

           From time to time I’ll be reviewing some of the workouts on the BitGym app (for more information on the app, read my review here). As far as I can tell, the Maui Road workout is only available on the BitGym app.  And that’s probably a good thing as I really can’t see myself wanting to pay money to do this workout again.

            My main complaint with this workout is the repetitive nature of the scenery. You follow the same road for the entire workout and the scenery rarely varies: all you seem to look at is the road and some trees, with occasional glimpses of the ocean. I wouldn’t mind so much if the trees were at least palm trees or the foliage was tropical in nature but most of the greenery doesn’t seem too different from what I would find here in Ontario, Canada.



            I also kept waiting to go off-roading so I could look at some different scenery. Then I realized my mistake—I had chosen a workout with the word ROAD in the title. So my bad. No off-roading, no beaches, no jungles. I’m looking forward to trying the Maui Run soon, which I’m expecting to be more varied and scenic.

            Since the BitGym app is interactive, the length of the workout depends on how fast you’re moving. The description of the Maui Road workout lists the “average time” as 60 minutes but I did it in about 52 minutes (without really going too quickly. My average cadence was about 75-80 RPM). There’s no music but there are “nature sounds” such as birds.

            So not a workout I’m in a hurry to do again. I’m hoping for better things from the Maui Run!


2 comments: