Friday 18 July 2014

The Sufferfest: The Long Scream


     On Tuesday I tried a new-to-me Sufferfest  called The Long Scream :)  It’s an “Extra Shot” workout, meaning it’s shorter than the other Sufferfest workouts and it’s meant to be added on to the end of another Sufferfest, for some serious, hard-core suffering.



Length: 35 minutes

Format: The Long Scream is ALL time trials. Since it’s an Extra Shot, there’s no official warmup or cooldown. (Although I get a decent warmup pedaling through the introduction, copyright info, etc. at the beginning.) There’s really no recovery—you go right from one time trial to the next.

Music: alt rock with some electronica. I really liked most of the music but there were two songs towards the end that were just a bit too loud and “screamy” for my liking.

Footage: the UCI World Championship Time Trial in Copenhagen. It’s awesome racing down the Old World streets of Copenhagen—especially with some well-known riders (see Other Random Thoughts).

Difficulty: as with Half Is Easy, I made the mistake of doing a lower body workout the day before I did The Long Scream so my legs were really tired. But I think this would have been a tough workout even if my legs weren’t so fatigued. The fact that there’s nearly no recovery time means you’re pedaling all-out for almost the entire 35 minutes. The shorter length makes it doable. 8/10 for difficulty. 

Other Random Thoughts: I loved Time Trial-ing alongside the likes of  Tyler Phinney, Bradley Wiggins and Tony Martin. There’s not much storyline beyond how you’re supposed to be “schooling” said cyclists in how a Sufferlandrian handles a time trial. One thing missing from The Long Scream is the cadence meter—instead of a suggested cadence, you’re expected to match the cadence of the cyclist on the screen (which can be tough). I did miss the laugh out loud moments that are more prominent in other Sufferfests but I enjoyed The Long Scream and I’m glad to have another shorter Sufferfest workout. 8/10.





11 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the reviews. Would a bike trainer work for the Sufferfest downloads?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! I know someone who uses one and it works great. (And if you look at The Sufferfest's Torture Chamber, you'll see that that's what most people actually use.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. Sometimes you hear about people "bulking" from too much riding. Has this happend ot you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not at all but spinning isn't all I do. I only spin 2-3 times a week and do other workouts on the other days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you mind sharing what other workouts you do?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry it took me so long to reply, Anita. I've been away and I'm going away again this week but when I come back I'll do a post about all the other workouts I do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely! I know someone who uses one and it works great. (And if you look at The Sufferfest's Torture Chamber, you'll see that that's what most people actually use.)
    maria b wholesale
    maria b original wholesale

    ReplyDelete
  8. replica bags on amazon replica hermes r9z22p4o42 9a replica bags why not check here m7z92c2z13 louis vuitton replica replica bags wholesale in divisoria k4b30s0b56 look at this now m7g23p6m24 aaa replica bags replica bags from korea

    ReplyDelete